Friday 7 October 2011

Need of Medical Practice -involvement of patients

Member

I have always been wondering - is there any platform where patients are patners in healthcare?This should be the gold standard & many talk about it -but there is still a long way to go..
However today I stumbled across this society & instantly became a member.The white paper is worth a read -e-Patients:How they can help us to heal healthcare.
Participatory Medicine is a movement in which networked patients shift from being mere passengers to responsible drivers of their health, and in which providers encourage and value them as full partners.
They is already a movement amongst the select doctors in India who have realised to involve the patients.The paternalistic approach is outdated.Medicine has advanced & it is not possible for our brains to store all information about every disease.
I have been blessed with teachers who warned me early in my training days- " Do not treat the scan -treat the patient".Another warned "Concentrate on the patient -not the disease".They were visionaries .They knew how a young doctor can get carried away.They taught treating the patient not just with brain & body but with heart & soul.
Few months ago ,I have come across blog of Dr Aniruddha Malpani & have learnt alot from him.
I must mention -I still come under the pressure of finishing my appointments on time & wonder whether quantity is going to compromise quality.
I am looking for patients who can form ENT self help groups & can have discussions.There are groups on Head & Neck cancers & Pediatric ENT related groups.It will be nice to know about Indian groups as it will be more real... I feel!
I have a long way to go on this..first thing is to renew my website.
My Email is :drsheelusrinivas@gmail.com

No comments:

Trust real doctors sitting in front of you, not internet....

  On Doctors day 1st July 2022, we can only wish for a healthy life and relationship for both patients and doctor. The first practical class...