Saturday 2 July 2011

Doctors day-what does it mean to a doctor?

Yesterday was doctors day-the day passed by so quickly ,i could not really think about it.people at work were wishing me as if it was my birthday. I have joined medicine in 1990 & am registered medical practictioner since 1996,I do not really remember this doctors day in those days .even i was abroad just 5 yrs ago & do not really remember so much of celebrations atleast in the UK.

I wonder whether this all hype is since healthcare is now a business-anything for marketing;i may be wrong-these are just my thoughts.After MBBS spent few years in ENT training in India & abroad.Then wanted to come back home as any young doctor to make a difference & then worked hard to stay back [many return due to lack of opportunities & money].i have been lucky & cannot complain.....thats why 5 years went by quickly.i say lucky since i can practice ethically & do not look at the surgical score board.

Now either this doctors day or just mid life crisis ,want to reflect upon the past & think about the future.My blog says ethical ENT practice -this does not mean others are not ethical .its just a thought that for the doctors day we should have a theme every year.I think the theme for 2011-12 should be ethical medical practice.

Lots is happening in medical field -patients are becoming paranoid-even doctors are so.this leads to over investigating.where is the clinical skill,patient contact,regular follow ups.why are we treating hospitals as one stop shop.

I have to sign off now -hope people think about my theme.any suggestions welcome.

happy day
sheelu




1 comment:

Sangeeta Bhabhra said...

Hi Sheelu,

This is what you were from the begining.Good to see you have not changed.Continue the good work, thanks!

Trust real doctors sitting in front of you, not internet....

  On Doctors day 1st July 2022, we can only wish for a healthy life and relationship for both patients and doctor. The first practical class...